We love our Sponsors. Please take a moment to visit their fabulous shops.

Brick House Fabrics The Painted Cottage Lovely Crafty Home Start Close In Sunny Day VintageCharm AccentsAdvertise with The Old Painted Cottage

Bella Inspirations Terbearco Katies Rose Cottage Designs American Home and GardenBetter With AgeAvalon Rose DesignGet a Tip Every Time

Friday, May 11, 2007

15 Cover Girl...


This is my favorite picture of my mom. My dad took this photo of her during their vacation in Las Vegas, in the early 1960's. I love everything about this photo. Especially how her dress and lipstick holder match the lights above the mirror. You would never know it by looking at it, but this photo has been in my dads wallet for over 40 years. It was crinkled, discolored and quite damaged, but I gave it a magical makeover and restored it with my photoshop elements program (how did we ever possibly manage before photoshop??)

I have always thought that my mom is one of the most beautiful women I have ever known. When growing up, she was often told she resembled a young beautiful Elizabeth Taylor. One of my most fond memories of my mom was when I was a little girl, my mom used to wash my hair in the sink. We had one of those long butcher block counters, and I would lay across the counter with my head cradled in her hands as she washed my hair. I can still remember the smell of the shampoo she used...smelled like daisies and strawberries in the summertime. I would look up at her and admire her long dark hair. She looked to me like a divine angel.

When I was growing up, I had what you might call "undiscovered potential". I was a very shy and timid girl who was fearful of adults. Most of my teachers didn't know what to do with me, a child with undiagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder. Although it went undiagnosed for most of my childhood, my mom intuitively found ways to encourage me to be strong and to overcome anything that stood in my way. To this very day, she will tell you she is my number one fan. With every step I've taken forward, my mom has always been there at my side to share in all of the great achievements in my life.

A long time ago, I read a story to my mom from the book "Chicken Soup for the Soul" that I am sure you can all relate... There was once a small tribe of people, and in this group, one of the tribe's children wandered into the mountains and became lost. The child's mother was so distraught, they sent a team of the strongest and bravest men in the tribe to find the child. The men returned days later, but with no child. They said they searched high and low, but there was no child to be found. Against much protest from the tribe, the worried mother pushed everyone aside and said she would go it alone to find her child. She then journeyed by herself into the dangerous mountains in search of her child. Days passed and everyone in the tribe feared the worst. Then finally one day, the mother came down from the mountains with her child in her arms, alive and well. Everyone in the tribe gathered around her and they couldn't believe their eyes. They asked her "How did you survive?" "How did you manage to climb those dangerous mountains on your own and find your child?" She looked at them all and simply replied "It wasn't your child".

In the words of Carly Simon, who wrote the song for her daughter "Love of my life".... Mom, you are the love. You are the great love of my life. I love you. Happy mothers day momma.

15 comments:

  1. Your mother is indeed beautiful and the story is inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jennifer, your mom was so pretty, and she still is. I've had the pleasure of meeting her.
    You look a lot like her. I can really see it in that picture. I love that it is so 60's.
    Tell her Happy Mother's Day from me.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila (Jennifer's Mom)May 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM

    Munchkin,

    What a great Mother's Day tribute to me. You were always so easy to love, with youre sensitive heart and loving nature. Always ready with your sweet smile. You always were able to see beauty in the most unsuspecting places. You started out like a little pink rose bud, so vulnerable and fragile, and have blossomed into a big, beautiful flower, standing out for the whole world to see. Thank you again for a wonderful day.

    Youre #1 fan~~~~~~~~Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are going to make me cry! That is so sweet!

    And, your mother did look like Elizabeth Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A question please... Do you know why there is no blog feed available to Google Reader, from your blog?

    There are a very few blogs, like this. And so I'm asking each, if you have it set this way? Or maybe, you just don't know that this is the case. :-)

    I wish all the blogs I love, did work with Google Reader. Since it's such a convenient way to know when anyone has a new entry. :-)

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful story! It shows how much you and your mother care for each other!
    You are very lucky to have a strong relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day... that story really sums it up, doesn't it? What a glamorous photograph! She looks like a model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoestring SplendourMay 17, 2007 at 3:42 AM

    How lovely!! My Mum passed away on the 2nd of May and mothers day was so very hard. I had time to tell mum how much she meant to me and reading this blog brought a tear and a smile. It is lovely to see such mutual admiration between a mother and daugher. Very touching!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Shoestring Splendour,

    Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your mother. I can't image how hard this has been for you. It is fortunate that you were able to share with her how deeply you feel for her, and she will forever remain in your heart.

    Jennifer, oxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I firmly beleive that Mothers give us our most remarkable memories. I know as a mom of four 18, 21,24 and 28 that I did achieve that. I am so happy I had a great mom who taught me to do so. Your Mom just touched my heart. Mine passed away almost 2 years ago and even so I love when I see daughters who cherish their moms. Thank you for sharing! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. your mum is lovely she looks about 12 yrs old in that picture
    carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this story could win a writing prize....used to wash our hair the exact same way....hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. O O Oh! I just LOVE that Carly Simon song, Love of My Life!!! When I heard it for the first time, I was driving my car. I had to pull over off the road because I was crying so hard!!!! As I listened to it then, and a million times since, I think of my very first grandson. He was born last December, and I was in the delivery room for my daughters' emergency C section. I was the first person to hold him and talk to him and look into his sweet face. So the line 'From the first time that I saw you, the second that you were born...' just makes me cry, because I remember that incredible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost my Moma 26 yrs ago. Her funeral was the day before Mothers Day.Even though I am the mother of 5 and grandma to 8 it is a bad day for me. This post made me cry but made me feel a bit of joy. It reminds me of my own Moma.She would wash my hair the same way. She too had long hair.I miss her every day. I think of something I need to ask her or tell her many times a week and it takes a second to remember that she is gone. After all these years my mind lets me think I can just call her up. It's wonderful for that second to believe that she is still just a call away. Thank you for this post. debi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

If you have an inquiry please use my Contact link at the top of my blog. That is the best way to reach me.

If you have a question about our home, please use the Cottage8 link (where you will find tons of FAQs!) at the top of my blog.

I read every comment that is left here. Thanks for taking the time to leave me one!