We love our Sponsors. Please take a moment to visit their fabulous shops.

Brick House Fabrics The Painted Cottage Lovely Crafty Home Start Close In Sunny Day VintageCharm AccentsAdvertise with The Old Painted Cottage

Bella Inspirations Terbearco Katies Rose Cottage Designs American Home and GardenBetter With AgeAvalon Rose DesignGet a Tip Every Time

Monday, June 18, 2012

32 Branching out

During a routine stop at our local Trader Joes last week, I came across a bundle of beautiful eucalyptus branches with silvery-green leaves…

m15


For most people, I think buying house plants or flowers probably isn’t given a second thought. But here in the Grey household, we have to think twice about what comes in the house, and where.

Skylar (below right) is a die-hard herbivore, and even tries to chew on on plastic, fake plants. Chloe (below left) loves to mimic everything her brother does. This means if it’s green and it’s real, it’s got to be up high and narrow, and out of kitty cat reach.

Don’t let all that orange cuteness fool you…they are capable of all kinds of daily mischief!

kittiestogether

Fortunately, our mantel is fairly high and narrow enough that they’ve never attempted to jump up here, not even once.

m01

I finally caved and brought home a huge bundle of fresh eucalyptus branches. While the kitties were asleep in the bedroom, I snuck the eucalyptus into the kitchen and arranged half of the bundle in this old car horn, which I’ve fashioned into a make-shift vase.

The bottom of the car horn is completely open, so I simply used a plastic sandwich baggie, filled it with fresh water, and tucked it hidden deep into the horn to keep those thirsty branches happy, and my mantel water leak free.

m02


While we may be experiencing June-Gloom weather here in SoCal, this girl was ready for some summer inspired decor!

The chunky, weathered wood piece on the left was a Home Goods find. The mercury glass votive, an old silver trophy, pencil starfish, and a stack of old handwritten french documents were all flea market finds…

m14

I did what I like to call “shop the house”. I went from room to room and pulled together a few pieces to decorate my June-inspired mantel…

m3


I love this “Miss California Beautiful” print on board I bought at the Rose Bowl years ago. The “monkey fist” rope knot ball was a Home Goods find…

m17


A vintage silver urn, some old rolled up documents and a black sea fan make a nice vignette…

m16


Simple and elegant, without feeling too overboard on a theme was my goal…

m4


I still had another half a bundle left of my eucalyptus branches. So I headed into my office/guest bedroom, which up until now, this is all you’ve seen of this room

[closet2%255B5%255D.jpg]

I promise, promise I will show you this entire room, before & after, with a full tour.

But for todays post, I just wanted to share with you this wall, and how pretty the eucalyptus branches look on this narrow black table…

m11


In case you’re curious, this little wall is just a few feet to the right of my closet office…


m10

What can I say, I’m a sucker for those silvery-green leaves!

I’m not sure how long these branches will last, but I’m changing the water out every other day (while the kitties are asleep in the other room of course).

m12


I hope you’re having a great summer so far!

green-apple_thumb1_thumb1

The Lettered Cottage

Till next time, click and keep up with us on our favorite sites….

http://www.buttonshut.com

Follow Me on Pinterest

32 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I can't wait to see your office..I love eucalyptus trees and the branches are really pretty. We use to put eucalyptus leaves under the couches its great for keeping fleas away so we were told, and at the time we had a cat and dog so it was worth a try. I must say we didn't have any fleas so maybe it worked.
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip, Elizabeth. Although we've never had any flea problems, as our kitties are strictly indoors for their safety and health.

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful collection and arrangement on your mantel! That CA beauties photo is really special. I loved looking it all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline! It's actually a reproduction, so you may be able to find it elsewhere : )

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  3. Love Trader Joe's and all their temptations! I ADORE your mantel and EVERY SINGLE DETAIL is "PERFECT"! My doggie would be like your kitty, I have to be OH SO CAREFUL! I "TRIED" starting seeds at his eye level, AND the moment he thought they were RIPE, they were MOWED! OH WELL!
    Have a wonderful fun week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! Your doggie sounds like he gets into just as much mischief as Chloe & Skylar do.

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  4. Oh, I am thrilled that someone else has a closet office. I am teased to death over mine. When I talk on skype people ask me if I am in my 'cupboard'!!
    This is a beautiful post. Your mantel is just gorgeous - fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey JFTB~
    We have the silver dollar eucalyptus in the hood. Next time come on over and we will go a pick'n!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer, your mantle looks great, I love the bathing beauties print. The eucalyptus is perfect in that vintage horn. You really tied it all together perfectly. Loving that office, such a great use of space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful mantel. The bathing beauties make it over the top perfect! Love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really Beautiful ! You always inspire me ! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh about your cats and the plants-I can so relate to 'sneaking' plants in and making sure they're high enough! I've never heard of anyone else's cat eating real and/or fake like our 1 does...oh, well, gotta love ''em :) Your mantle looks fantastic!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know we're not alone, lol!

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  10. I love the nautical feel of your mantel! I think those bathing beauties are my favorite! Love the eucalyptus and the little splash of color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This mantel is magazine worthy! I absolutely love the way you artfully arranged everything and I agree with Shannon that the bathing beauties gives it the wow factor. And the table in your office is equally outstanding! I love the rolled tubes in the cloche. Now I'm dying to see the full room reveal. In the meantime, I'm going to pin your mantel and your office for inspiration!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a 'pin-friendly' blog, so please feel free to pin your heart out! And thanks for the kind comments : )

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  12. Such gorgeous vignettes!!! Love that silvery green of the eucalyptus and dying laughing at the shenanigans you have to go through so the cats don't get 'em:) Its definitely worth it! The mantel is so lovely, love all your antique/vintage finds mixed with HomeGoods (love that place!) and the silver/mercury glass next to the natural elements. So pretty! Your closet office is so cute! I'm glad I found your blog (through Layla), now I have to go poking around;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm visiting from Layla's summer fun link party!

    I love your mantel - especially the sepia toned print of the bathing beauties! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so funny, Jennifer ... I have to do the SAME thing when I bring some kind of plant into the house. I sneak it up onto the mantel (the only place Fletcher has never jumped onto) and I do it when he's asleep in the other room! Kittys ... you gotta love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ - looks like I'm in good company, lol!

      oxox
      Jennifer

      Delete
  15. Wow, I love your arrangement! Your home is beautiful. Enjoy your blog so very much - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That color of green is just the right touch of color. I love the total look and all your interesting pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jennifer! Love the vignettes you put together and the silver green leaves add just the right soft touch of color! All of your items are so interesting! I have seen that bathing beauty picture before and love it! I think Home Goods sells it - or one like it. Love beach themes that aren't too kitchy - just some nice items in natural colors and I'm happy. LOVE your desk chair! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am working on several vignettes in my house and love the nautical vintage touches. I have even thought about the sea fan idea. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH, and I do wish there was a Trader Joe's even within an hours distance of where I live...it would be lovely to pick up great finds like your branches :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mantle and table are beautiful! I have a similar bathing beauties print, but it's framed and hanging in a bathroom. I love all your vintage finds and how your mantle doesn't scream BEACH! Nice job. I'm in SoCal too. Maybe we're neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jen
    Just saw your blog and love the idea of using the eucalyptus leaves for something different. I toonlove using thiose old horns as vases but found using baggies quite cumbersome. What I found that works great is to take a plastic water bottle, cut the top down to the right heighth, push it inside and voila! No spills or leaks.
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jen
    Love the idea of using eucalyptus leaves for something different. I too love using old car horns as vases but found using baggies quite combersome. Instead I took water bottles,cut the tops down to the right height, pushed them down inside and voila! No mess or spills.
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

If you have an inquiry please use my Contact link at the top of my blog. That is the best way to reach me.

If you have a question about our home, please use the Cottage8 link (where you will find tons of FAQs!) at the top of my blog.

I read every comment that is left here. Thanks for taking the time to leave me one!