We love our Sponsors. Please take a moment to visit their fabulous shops.

Brick House Fabrics The Painted Cottage Lovely Crafty Home Start Close In Sunny Day VintageCharm AccentsAdvertise with The Old Painted Cottage

Bella Inspirations Terbearco Katies Rose Cottage Designs American Home and GardenSweet Cottage DreamsAvalon Rose DesignGet a Tip Every Time

Sunday, October 7, 2012

20 Beauti-fall

Usually when I think of Fall, crunchy maple leaves and autumn colored foliage come to mind. But not this year! Hitting up the produce stands at our local farmers market on a weekly basis, it’s given me a keen awareness of foods of the season. Fall harvest has begun! The growers tables are overflowing with gorgeous squashes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and apples and pears. A feast for the eyes, and the palette.

This year I bought my very first Sugar Pumpkin.

1

Sugar pumpkins have a firm, sweet flesh that is much smoother than that of larger pumpkins. They’re great for roasting, making soups and homemade pumpkin puree.

I’m going to use my sugar pumpkin to make
Homemade Pumpkin Butter From Scratch. If you want to try it, here’s a photo tutorial on roasting your sugar pumpkin. And here’s some great tips on roasting perfect pumpkin seeds. Thank you Angela, from Oh She Glows!

2

Sugar pumpkins are only about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, greatly increasing their adorability factor…

3

Another first for me this year, acorn squash. Their bright orange spots show where they were laying on the ground while growing, and are a good determining sign of ripeness…

4

These beauties are going to be used to make my Acorn Squash Apple Soup.

If enough of you are interested, I’d love to share the recipe and delicious photos in an upcoming post. Just let me know in the comments section.


6

Apples are at their peak, typically, from late August through November. This batch is so crisp and sweet, I’m trying my best not to munch my way through them all…

7

Especially since they’re going to be used for my Acorn Squash Apple Soup recipe!

8

Without a doubt, I think this is going to be the yummiest Fall ever!

10


The temperatures are finally dropping here in So Cal, just enough so that our evening walks are accompanied by sweaters and light jackets, and I think I can safely pack away my capri pants and flip flops until next year.

It’s my birthday this weekend, and cooking and baking are on the agenda, as well as some quality time with my friends and family. Yep, life is good.

greenapple




Till next time, click and keep up with us on our favorite sites….

http://www.buttonshut.com pinners welcomeFollow Me on Pinterest



20 comments:

  1. Hope you are enjoying your Birthday, I am so happy we are cooling down here I was really getting sick of the heat! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a sweet pumpkin. I am in withdrawal here in France. They have pumpkins that I love, but being married to a French man it gets quite complicated trying to explain the desire to buy on just for displaying....or 3 or 5 like I am inclined to do!

    I am loving the vicarious fall journey through my favorite blogs though :)!

    Have a great Sunday,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our temps are in the 40's here, I am so glad to be over that heat. Sugar pumpkins make the best pancakes too. We also cut them in half, take out the seeds, and roast with pecans and maple syrup drizzled over them. I could eat winter squash everyday and normally do. Wonder harvest you have there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our temps here are in the 30's at night and the 50's during the day. I love this time of year. All of your pictures are just yummy. I love pumpkin soup. I'm off to the farmers market to pick up a sugar pumpkin ~ I can taste it now. I also would be VERY interested in the Acorn Squash Apple Soup. Sounds delish ~ Happy Birthday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love the colors of fall. The leaves, the trees, the pumpkins and etc. Such a beautiful time of the year.....just wish it was a longer season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love acorn squash, and would love your soup recipe in a future post. Thank you for your easy-to-follow directions for the sugar pumpkins and seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Jennifer. Enjoy the week end. The pictures look good enough to eat!!!!! That Apple soup sounds yummy. Enjoy your birthday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see yopur recipe for acorn squash & apple soup. Sounds interesting.
    Your pictures are all so lovely. Hope you bought extras to keep out on display.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are so pretty...the fresh veggies make a wonderful subject.:)
    I have a sugar pumpkin, too. Just for looks, I think, tho.
    We love acorn squash and do hope you post your apple and squash soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fall is my favorite season of all ~ Yes, please share your apple/squash soup, it sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jennifer! Just reading your post today and want to wish you a happy belated birthday! Hope it was a great one. I love acorn squash (all winter squash actually!) and would love to have your recipe. Wishing you a Fabulous Fall.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two beautiful acorn squash sitting on my kitchen counter right now just begging to be made into soup. I would love to see your recipe. And I have never purchased a sugar pumpkin but after reading your post I'm going to go right out and buy one today! Fall is my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birth Week! May it be a special one in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name "Sugar Pumpkin"... how cute is that! Those are such pretty photos too. Homemade pumpkin butter, and acorn squash apple soup sounds so yummy. I'm a squash fan, butternut being one of my favorites, so i am curious about the soup! You're eating so healthy,and it sounds like you're really enjoying cooking. That's so cool... I used to like to cook until i had kids, and all they wanted was pasta, and pizza, and fried chicken. You inspire me to try my hand at new recipes again!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fall produce looks yummy and I wouldl ove to get the acron squash apple soup recipe in another post! It sounds really good and I'm always on the look-out for new, warm the soul recipes! Have a wonderful birthday weekend! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such incredible bounty! We have so very much to be thankful for....Blessings, Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all.....

    HAPPY!
    BIRTHDAY!
    BEAUTIFUL!
    FRIEND!

    Enjoy the celebrations.

    Jennifer, I'd love to have the recipes. I bought my first two sugar pumpkins...but have them for decor. Now I am thinkin' they need to be used for food. And I love Acorn Squash - not only are they pretty, but so tasty just cut in half, baked and sprinkled with brown sugar and a wee bit of butter.

    Happy Fall!

    Hot one up north today....grrr..

    xx
    b.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful shots of the season's bounty!
    I love anything and everything pumpkin. Seem to
    get as much of it as I can at this time of year!

    Love it that it is seasonal... still keeps it special.
    :)

    Enjoy the season. It's glorious!
    xox
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny, I recently did a tutorial on making pumpkin puree! My daughter and I do it every year, roasting is the best!! It brings out the natural sugars in the pumpkin. I was making pumpkin butter in the crock-pot and the crock-pot "croaked" and did not turn off! So, it burned. Sad. Anyway, take care.
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

If you have an inquiry please use my Contact link at the top of my blog. That is the best way to reach me.

If you have a question about our home, please use the Cottage8 link (where you will find tons of FAQs!) at the top of my blog.

I read every comment that is left here. Thanks for taking the time to leave me one!