We love our Sponsors. Please take a moment to visit their fabulous shops.

Brick House Fabrics The Painted Cottage Lovely Crafty Home Start Close In Sunny Day VintageCharm AccentsAdvertise with The Old Painted Cottage

Bella Inspirations Terbearco Katies Rose Cottage Designs American Home and GardenBetter With AgeAvalon Rose DesignGet a Tip Every Time

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

42 Cottage8: Interior Black Door Makeover

We’re on a DIY roll you guys! Maybe it’s the unusually cool August weather here in SoCal that’s got me super motivated, but I’m crossing projects off my To Do list like a frantic homeowner on a 30-minute HGTV makeover show.

Remember
the dilemma I had a while back, finding the perfect shade of black for our interior doors?

15 4

I’m happy to report Ralph and I are getting along famously. I am totally smitten with his Black Truffle paint. It’s smoky and dark, without that “it looks like it’s midnight, but it’s actually three o’clock in the afternoon” feeling in our tiny hallway. It actually feels brighter to me now, how does that happen!  
ba3

When I shared I wanted to paint every single one of our interior doors black, there were some folks that were less than favorable towards the idea. But I stuck to my guns and did it anyway. Rebellious much?

After seeing the results I think you too might agree, everything just looks better painted black…

1 


2 


3 

Happy fact: While we did replace all the door handles, we decided not to replace the doors. These are the original (circa 1962) builder grade hollow core doors that came with the house. But they look so classic and elegant now, all dressed in black.

It’s amazing what a couple coats of paint can do, and a little rebellion…

ba2 


ba5  


ba4



ba1

Better after, don’t you think? We are super excited with how it turned out, and I’m so glad I trusted my instincts and just went for it!

In my next post I’m sharing how we did our photo gallery wall, stay tuned!

4

To see our hallway makeover from start to finish, click here!

And to read about our chalkboard painted linen closet project click here!
 


Till next time, click and keep up with us on our favorite sites…
 
facebook-300-n43332332323googleplus-300-n53332332323pinterest-300-n53332332323instagram-30053332332323rss-300-n53332332323linkedin-300-n53332332323twitter-300-n53332332323
Vintage Social Networking Icons



Get new posts delivered to your inbox for free!


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

42 comments:

  1. Did you use semi-gloss, satin, gloss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satin. Semi-gloss showed too many brush strokes with the black.

      Delete
  2. :) I love it. It looks great. It is amazing how black can make something look brighter but you did it!!!! Good for you to stick to your guns on this. Beautiful.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! It was a definite sigh of relief for us!

      Delete
  3. You have such VISION! This looks stunning. Did you paint both sides of the doors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did Susan. You can see the interior side of the door of our office in a couple of the pics : )

      Delete
  4. I think they look awesome, I have the same type of hallway and same doors, they do look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing what a little paint can do : )

      Delete
  5. They look fabulous in black! I did my interior doors black this year too, and I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! The black doors look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our interior doors are black as well, only we used ASCP in graphite. Love, love, love the classic look of a black door! Your hallway may be little, but it is HUGE in personality!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is ASCP? I think I'll need to Google it ; )

      Delete
  8. I love your interior doors painted black. I painted the inside of one my bathroom doors black and love it! I don't think I'll paint the rest of my doors black because my hallway is small and I don't want to have to be dusting them all the time. My doors are panelled so the dust would land in the cracks but most of your doors are smooth so it should work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing, Sandy, as some of our doors do have moulding (office & master bathroom door) but we haven't had any dust issues yet : )

      Delete
  9. Nice job. The black paint does add elegance. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doors really pop! You did a great job. Looks like we have similar taste...I have a couple of those subway scrolls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those scrolls, just love! We have two and I switch them around all the time..fun!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jennifer,
    It looks great! and you are so right it does brighten up the hallway!! I love it! Stick to your guns for sure, your first instinct it always right.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, they look way better! I say, always go with your instincts, even if it's against the flow! :o) They really add a look of wow! to your spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm always running in the opposite direction of the crowd. It's the rebel in me ; )

      Delete
  13. Love it!! I did this to our builder grade doors a year and a half ago - chalkboard on the bedroom doors upstairs so we can message each other and designate guest rooms- and black downstairs. I used a SW black but love your Ralph color. Things just look better painted black!! Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!! I did this to our builder grade doors a year and a half ago - chalkboard on the bedroom doors upstairs so we can message each other and designate guest rooms- and black downstairs. I used a SW black but love your Ralph color. Things just look better painted black!! Marcie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chalkboard messages sound really cute Mollie!

      Delete
  15. Jennifer, I had to come back and take another look! I love the way you utilized your long hallway and made it more interesting with the floating gallery wall shelves! What a great idea. The black doors actually provide more interest and really make your hallway stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming back for another visit Sandy : )

      Delete
  16. The doors look amazing! I was a doubter. But you knew best.
    I have been looking for the RL Black Truffle locally. Is it premixed? Have found local dealer
    but they do not have it in a premix.
    Love your blog.
    Thanks for sharing your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grammy! They mix it for you at the counter. It's not premixed. On the Ralph Lauren website, they have a paint retailer locator.

      Delete
  17. Love it Jennifer! (As usual;-) It's amazing the amount of class the black doors and other touches of black bring to the area.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, I'm amazed at what a great statement this makes!! Love it :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know black is classic & the new look is classic as well...just not sure I could live w/it. :) At Fleur Cottage we also had the basic builder hollow core doors but I dressed them up by adding moulding strips and wood embellishments from Lowes & painted them a high gloss pure white - also classic! Lovely new look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful Jennifer, it looks amazing. Sometimes you have to go against the waves of sameness at the ocean! And set your own course. I love
    how striking it is, and what a difference in the after picture. I really like it.
    You go girl!!!!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Out standing présence to the hallway of inspiring WowNess!!

    Loved it when I had some black pieces in my mix. You are inspiring me to rethink some black!

    Xx
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just came from Cottage of the Month and didn't see where to comment there. I have always love Stacey's blog and was glad that i got to see a lot more of her home in one post. She had me with that first chair in the front. Oh, my goodness - the patina!!!

    I like the white and neutrals homes I see, but I am a COLOR girl so Stacey's home is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I've never seen black painted internal doors before - it is PERFECT for your place! You indeed have vision! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

If you have an inquiry please use my Contact link at the top of my blog. That is the best way to reach me.

If you have a question about our home, please use the Cottage8 link (where you will find tons of FAQs!) at the top of my blog.

I read every comment that is left here. Thanks for taking the time to leave me one!